What Types of Information do we Collect?
CECA collects information from you in order to conduct our activities including providing services to our members. The information that CECA collects includes:
- Membership Information: If you sign up to become an CECA member, you will be asked to provide information such as your company name, contact person, address, e-mail, phone number, fax number, toll-free phone number, mobile number, website, years in business, number of employees and company description.
- Billing Information: You may need to provide us with payment and billing information (including credit card and/or bank information) in order to pay for membership dues, events or other services that require payment.
- Events: If you sign up for an event that we provide as part of our activities, you will be asked to provide information which may include your name, mailing address, e-mail address, company name and phone number. We may photograph or record (audio, visual or both) the event which includes individuals who attend the event.
- Access to Websites: In order to access restricted portions of CECA’s websites, you may be asked to provide information such as company name, contact person, address, e-mail, phone number, fax number, toll-free phone number, mobile number, website, years in business, number of employees and company description.
- General Information: CECA may automatically collect some non-personal information from our websites’ “cookies,” other tracking mechanisms, registration forms, online surveys, etc., such as:
- Your domain name and host for Internet access
- The date and time of your entry
- Your IP address, browser type, device, or operating system
- The pages you visit and links that you use
- The domain name from which you linked to our website
- Your city and province/state
- Other general demographic information
We may aggregate any of this usage information and only use it to identify levels and areas of interest in our website, and to improve and refine our website. We may also share this aggregated, anonymous data with certain third parties with whom we work (on an as-needed basis).
Why We Collect Your Information
CECA collects information for the purposes for which it was collected including:
(a) to provide CECA members with services, and communications including newsletters and members’ news, associated with your membership;
(b) for administration and account management;
(c) to permit access to restricted portions of CECA’s websites including uploading and downloading content available on such restricted portions;
(d) to prepare a Directory of CECA members that is distributed to CECA members;
(e) to respond to CECA members’ communications or to send information requested by you; and
(f) to publish information about certain CECA members on portions of CECA’s websites.
Consent for Personal Information
By providing CECA with your personal information, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of such information in accordance with this Policy or for the purposes identified to you at the time you provided the personal information.
Changes to this Policy
Please note that CECA reserves the right to update or change this Policy at any time. We will notify you of any changes by posting an updated Policy on our websites, by e-mailing you or as made available through CECA’s services. The most current version of this Policy will govern CECA’s collection, use and disclosure of your personal information.
How is the Data Secured?
CECA is concerned with the security of the data we have collected and has in place reasonable measures to prevent unauthorized access to that information. These measures include policies, procedures, and technical elements relating to data access controls. Please note however, that we cannot guarantee that the measures we maintain will guarantee the security of the information.
Your personal information will not be disclosed or shared with any person unless:
- CECA obtains your express consent (or where permitted by applicable law, your implied consent) to share such information.
- CECA determines if it is necessary to provide personal information to third-party service providers in order to provide our services in which case such service providers will be bound by data protection obligations.
- CECA needs to share the information with companies who work on behalf of CECA to provide a product or service to you.
- CECA is required by law, regulation, a court order, a warrant, subpoena, or other lawful request or demand by a governmental or law enforcement authority to disclose or share your personal information.
- CECA has a reasonable belief that you have breached its confidentiality by disclosing any confidential information, including but not limited, your user ID and/or password.
- CECA, in its sole judgment, believes it is necessary to share information in order to investigate, prevent, or take action (including the defence of an actual or potential legal claim) regarding illegal activities (including copyright infringement), fraud, fraudulent misrepresentation, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, or as otherwise required or permitted by law.
Disclosure of Membership Information
Your membership information (see “What Types of Information do we Collect?” above) may be placed in the CECA Membership Directory which all members may access. In addition, if you are a Supplier Member or Dual Member, such information may be placed under the “Supplier’s” tab of the CECA website to which the public has access, and if you indicate when you sign up to become a member of CECA that you install Private Residential Elevators, such information may be placed under the “Home Elevator” tab of the CECA website to which the public has access.
Should you wish to have any information removed from the Directory or website (or changed), please update your directory listing by signing into your online membership account on the CECA website. You may also contact CECA for assistance with respect to changing or removing any information. Please use our contact form.
Third Party Links
CECA’s website may, from time to time, provide you with links to additional resources that CECA believes will be of interest to you. These links will lead you to websites operated by third parties with their own privacy practices. CECA is not responsible for such privacy practices. Accordingly, before accessing any third party website to which a CECA website is linked, you should consider the applicable third party’s privacy practices.
Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our websites and welcome any feedback about these third-party sites.
Personal Information Located Outside of Canada
CECA and other third parties to whom we disclose information under this Policy may perform activities such as data retention or processing outside of Canada. As a result, your information may be securely used, stored or accessed in other countries and may be subject to the laws of those countries. For example, information may be disclosed in response to valid demands or requests from government authorities, courts, or law enforcement in these countries.
How Long do we Retain Data?
CECA will retain your personal information only for as long as is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it is collected and any applicable government and/or legal requirements, subject to this Policy. When your information is no longer required for the purposes set out in the Policy, CECA will destroy it, or delete your personal information from it.
Access, Questions and Concerns
Upon request and reasonable notice, CECA will provide you with information about your personal information held by CECA. Your rights include an opportunity to confirm the accuracy and completeness of your personal information and to have it amended if necessary.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding this Policy or wish to exercise such rights, please contact CECA’s Privacy Officer. Please use our contact form.
Date: December 11, 2019